The Slip! Slap! Swing! sun protection campaign for golf has returned in 2020 with the aim of getting 500 UK golf clubs ‘Sun Protection Accredited’ this year.
Rates of melanoma – the most dangerous form of skin cancer – have more than doubled in the UK in the last 30 years and the charity behind the campaign, the Melanoma Fund, has set their mission to transform sun protection in golf to tackle the rapid rise in cases.
Golfers are a vulnerable group, not just due to the average age of participants – as instances in 25-49 year olds have also risen 70%, but also because of the nature of the sport. A typical round can lead to prolonged sun exposure on courses which often feature minimal UV protection outdoors.
Therefore, England Golf is supporting the Slip! Slap! Swing! campaign by recommending clubs improve their sun habits and knowledge by becoming Sun Protection Accredited.
Free support will be provided as clubs pledge to deliver on five actions:
- Nominate a Sun Pro Ambassador; promoting the campaign to members/staff.
- Add a sun protection statement to Terms & Conditions of play/Health & Safety policy.
- Display awareness posters and promote the campaign internally, and externally on socials.
- Ensure sunscreen is available in the club, either for sale or for complimentary use.
- Display the Sun Protection Accreditation logo – both digitally and in the club
For more information on the campaign, to sign-up, or to hear from stories of other golfers who have been affected by skin cancer, head to the Melanoma Fund’s website for golf.