At England Golf we believe that golf is a game for everyone. We want to make the game dementia friendly for the 850,000 people living with dementia in the UK.
In February 2019 the Alzheimer’s Society published their Dementia Friendly Sport and Leisure Guide, which covers how you can support People, Programmes and Places to become dementia friendly and include more people. The guide helps with:
- Golfers who are living with dementia – on what they can do to continue playing
- Golf facilities – on what they can do to become more dementia friendly and support golfers with dementia to continue to play or return to the game
- PGA Professionals – key information about dementia and what to consider when supporting golfers living with dementia through coaching
- Dementia support groups – how to engage with local golf facilities to offer the sport to those they support
We encourage you to download the resources at the bottom of this page and explore the opportunities as a golfer, a golf facility or as a family member or friend of someone living with dementia.
England Golf support the Alzheimer’s Society mission to create 4 million Dementia Friends by 2020 and believe that golf facilities and our members can help us achieve this.
What is a Dementia Friend?
A Dementia Friend is someone who has learnt five key messages about dementia and turns their new understanding into positive action. These messages are:
- Dementia is not a natural part of ageing
- Dementia is caused by diseases of the brain
- Dementia is not just about losing your memory
- It is possible to live well with dementia
- There is more to the person than the dementia
It is about understanding that while people with dementia might forget facts, what they feel emotionally endures. So if they have a positive experience, they might not remember what that experience was but how they felt (happy, safe, content) will stay with them. If they have a negative experience, the reverse is true.
How to become a Dementia Friend?
England Golf is registered as a Dementia Friends organisation. That means that golfers, club managers and volunteers can become Dementia Friends now by watching up to six short online videos that promote understanding of dementia and the actions to take to support people living with the condition.
Here’s what you need to do…
- Sign-up to be a Dementia Friend below
- Use code: “GOLF1234” to be a part of England Golf’s dementia friends
- Make note of your golf club when registering so we can help you further
To show who is a Dementia Friend at your site, request a pack of badges from the Club Support and Participation Team at email@example.com and allocate one badge to each person who has become a friend this way.
You will also be asked to list one action you plan to do, so why not contact your local dementia organisation to talk about what you or your golf facility can offer?
If you have any specific questions about supporting players with dementia or are unable to find an answer then please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Picture copyright of Alzheimer’s Society