Preferred Lies 2013
The period for preferred lies runs from 1st October in one year to 30th April in the following year. CONGU is aware that poor weather and lack of growth over the winter/ spring period will have resulted in many clubs not having the early season ground conditions previously experienced and/or expected by members at this time of year. Accordingly, the preferred lie period is being extended in England, Ireland and Wales to 31st May 2013. This will allow clubs to continue to run qualifying competitions with preferred lies through to this date. Clubs are reminded that they should only be using preferred lies where conditions require them. Any club extending their preferred lie period beyond 30th April 2013 is asked to advise their union or association as appropriate.
2012-2015 CONGU Online Version - Click Here
England Golf are the handicapping authority for all clubs and members under its jurisdiction and has the following responsibilities:
• Appoint a Committee to administer the UHS.
• Have policies for the administration of handicapping that are consistent with the fundamental principles and regulations of the UHS and with the Rules of Golf as approved by R&A Rules Limited.
• Have a policy to ensure that all Affiliated Clubs discharge their responsibilities under Clause 6.2.
• Establish a procedure to adjudicate upon the provisions of Clause 24 and when required appoint a Committee to perform the duties therein.
• Specify the appeal procedure to be made available to Members dissatisfied with the determination made by the Union pursuant to Clause 24.
• At its discretion, settle any dispute referred to it under the UHS, subject to clause 3.7.
• Establish within the Union conditions, restrictions and limitations to be imposed in respect of competitions deemed to be Qualifying Competitions and produce a list that must be reviewed and published annually – see also Clause 17.2(f).
• Specify the obligations to be observed by clubs and players in respect of a National Handicap Database.
• Conduct an annual audit of the handicap records of members of Affiliated Clubs with, as a minimum, a handicap of +1  or better.
• Establish a Competition Scratch Score for each round of every Qualifying Competition they organise.