Funding and Grants
Below are details of funding opportunities that can be accessed by golf clubs.
County Development Group Funding
County Development Groups may have funding available to support golf clubs in recruiting and retaining adults and young people into the game, through a variety of different programmes and initiatives. Details of County Development Groups and their work can be found at www.englandgolf.org/cgps
County Sports Partnership Funding
County Sports Partnerships may have direct funding available through initiatives such as Sportivate or can assist you in sourcing local funding in your area. Details of your local County Sports Partnership can be found at www.cspnetwork.org
Sport England Funding
Whether you need to make your make your clubhouse more accessible, want to improve the drainage on your course or need financial help to put on more coaching sessions, Sport England have a funding stream that could help.
*The two main funding pots open to clubs are:
- Inspired Facilities - a £110 million programme that funds the renovation and modernisation of local sports facilities.
- Small Grants – uses National Lottery funding to make awards of between £300 and £10,000 to not-for-profit organisations to help more people play sport.
For eligibility criteria and further details please check the Sport England website.
* NB: At the time of going to print Sport England was reviewing all funding pots. This follows the publication last May of its new strategy ‘Towards an Active Nation’. The review covers how Sport England invests money and includes simplifying their funding programmes, the application process and the approach to evaluation for applications. This means that currently some pots are closed and are subject to the review.
Who is it for?
For those within the club with a responsibility or interest in fund raising for revenue projects through to facility development. Including but not limited to:
- General Manager / Secretary
- Owner / Management Committee
- Club Professional
Over £1.5m was received in grants by English golf clubs in the last two years to improve facilities, drive participation and fund flood relief programmes. All the money came from Sport England funding pots and the grants were achieved with support from our Club Support Officers and Regional Managers.
How to access it?
Visit the Sport England website at www.sportengland.org/funding
Whilst Sport England Grants are under review it maybe worth considering alternative funding pots. Details can be found here
Your Club Support Officer or Regional Manager will be able to provide further advice. Contact details can be found in the back of the guide.
Should you have a specific question or need clarification around funding criteria, you can contact the Sport England shared services advice line on 08458 508508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Sport England have produced guidaince around laternative sources of funding, in particular self-generated funding, such as Crowdfunding - find this here