Each year England Golf seeks talented youngsters from across the country to form 20 regional coaching squads for training over the winter months.
The application process for the England Golf Regional Squads is now open. Application forms can be accessed below.
Please note: applications close at 17:00, Friday 28 August.
Young golfers (under 18 years) can apply for the boys’ and girls’ regional coaching programme for one year and the DiSE program for two years (please see below).
The Regional Squads will provide players with coaching from experts in their field, looking to develop young talent across all aspects of the game at training camps which make up the core of the coaching programme. In addition, players may have the opportunity to compete in inter-regional matches, one-to-one sessions as well as specific tournament preparation camps.
Each squad will be supported by a coach, manager and a strength and conditioning coach to give players the best opportunity to progress further within the game.
It could be the stepping stone to great things. Past Masters champion Danny Willett and former British Open winner Georgia Hall are among the graduates of the England regional training program.
England Golf Regional Squad application process
1. Complete the initial online application form which will become available on this page once applications open in July and close in August.
2. Once applications have closed in August you will be allocated a region based on the county you represent. Download a breakdown of our ten England Golf Coaching Regions by County Union and/or Association in the document below. Applications will then be assessed by the relevant regional coach and manager.
3. You will then receive an email to confirm your application has either been successful or unsuccessful.
If your application has been successful, the email will detail your assessment date and venue. A document containing full dates and venues can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
4. As part of this invite, we require a little more information and a form will be contained within the email. We require all players and parents to sign up to and adhere to the England Golf code of conduct at this stage.
5. Have fun, work hard and engage with the staff and players at your assessment day.
6. Following the selection days;
a. You will receive an email to confirm if you have been unsuccessful in gaining a place on the regional squad. At this point you can request personal feedback to help you understand how you can look to progress over the coming months.
b. Alternatively, you will receive an email inviting you to join your relevant regional squad. Within the email will be a draft copy of the England Golf regional squad player agreement for both players and parents/guardians to review. We will provide a hard copy for you and your parents/guardians to sign at one of the first training sessions and DiSE players will be enrolled onto the programme with Loughborough College.
7. Embrace all the opportunities that are provided to you as part of the England Golf Regional Squad and, above all else, enjoy your golf!
The Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE)
The DiSE programme is conducted as part of the regional squads for those eligible to enrol on the programme. The programme is designed to measure an athletes’ ability to plan, apply and evaluate their development within all aspects of golf.
All players completing and passing the Level 3 Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE) programme will be awarded 64 UCAS points.
The programme covers a range of modules including but not limited to:
- Strength and Conditioning
- Mental Skills
- Media and Communication Skills
- Career Development
Who delivers DiSE?
The DiSE programme is delivered in partnership between England Golf and Loughborough College. Players will be expected to attend national/regional camps that provide a diverse blend of ideas technical and tactical know how and thought-provoking presentations contributing to the portfolio work.
How do I take part?
For the 2020/2021 intake, players must have been born between 1 September 2003 – 31 August 2004 and have obtained (or committed to working towards) a level 4 or higher in four GCSE’s which must include Maths and English Language.
Applicants must be in full-time education and committed to the programme for the 2-year period.
Please apply through the application forms, completing the detail as required under the relevant DiSE section of the form.